During our 17th anniversary celebration dinner out last night the following conversation occurred. John and I had spent most of the afternoon with a cerulean filled sky overhead as we shot photos on our roof for an up coming "advertisement" for Rhea Belle clothing. His job was simple- well, so I thought. I listed just three things for him to keep track of while he operated the camera: make sure my stomach doesn't pooch out (I have bad posture but I'm workin' on that), keep an eye out for double chins and PLEASE make sure my Rebel necklace doesn't flip over. Well, two out of three isn't so bad (the rebel pendant flipped but photoshop fixed that)... I guess. I made the t-shirt Saturday afternoon. I had been thinking about it for a while and decided that it would soon be a classic in my collection. "Collection". What does that even mean? See, my plan is to infiltrate (pretend like I know what I'm doing and make it look right) the fashion bubble and subtly shatter the illusions of what a "survivor" looks like. Ultimately and logically she looks just like everyone else because the clothes she is wearing are made just for her. When I put the "classic Rebel1in8 T" on- damn did I feel empowered! Does a prosthesis EVER do that? So, the conversation I mentioned went something like this: (while waiting for pork chops, home-made style mashed potatoes, asparagus, brandini fish over rice, clams and two vodka gimlets- the now drink-of-choice introduced to me by Jeanne during her visit here)...John: (from across the candle lit table and with a smile) Um, I can see right down your shirt.
me: Which side? Breast side? Flat side?
John: (shrugging, knowing my response ahead of time) Flat side.
me: (smiling real big) Yeah, SO!
Introducing the Classic Rebel1in8 T-shirt.

7 comments:
that happens to me with my husband, too. we'll be out somewhere (usually a restaurant) and he'll casually mention that my shirt has slipped a bit and he can see right down it.
and my response is always, "so? there's nothing to see except scars!"
i know he's not uncomfortable, but i think he's worried about the societal response.
and why is it that society deems it acceptable to have breasts on display in low-cut tops and push-up bras, but mastectomy scars are a no-no?!
You are amazing! Where have you been all of this time! You hit the nail on the head. The concern over the "social response" is the curse that compels most women to reconstruct or veil their bodies and often at the expense of their own personal ideologies and comfort.
I'm not God. I can't MAKE any one "feel" anything, let alone uncomfortable- people bring that on themselves.
One thing I will NOT do is apologize for my body or it's scars.
Yeah, we talked about this...I admitted that I have a couple older female colleagues who would just about up and faint if they saw my scars (the whole "I'm your walking nightmare!" thing), and I'm not overly casual at work otherwise.
At home, though...I don't care who sees 'em, and the same for anywhere I go when I'm not at work.
...what's brandini fish? Sounds like you folks had yourself a fancy time! :-)
Hi ! I came back to tag you. Tag!
http://www.diynotdie.com
My spouse and I will be celebrating our 17th anniversary this year, too (well, 17 years since we hooked up, since this is what we celebrate. We've been legal for 11 years but ALWAYS seem to forget that anniversary). I love that he has made it clear that he is comfortable with my body, no matter what I choose to do.
Jacqueline, I am having fantasies of a Brooklyn road trip...
w: you've inspired a future post. so, thanks.
p: brandini? it appears that i made that up. and i'm going to find that "i'm your walking nightmare" post and link to it. and give me a couple of months to get back to that "tag", ok?
L: BROOKLYN ROAD TRIP! now, don't tease me woman because i'm already giddy about the possibility!!! you'll have a blast and i'm a great host- just ask Jeanne. you'll be treated like royalty.
add a link - the rebel won't flip
or, better yet, glue two together . . . rebel on both sides now.
your new duds are better n better n better n better
-k
Post a Comment